Sunday, March 22, 2009

Nathan Phillips Fry Truck.

brinner... Brinner is the new brunch. By Brinner, I mean getting food at 4am, way after dinner and way before breakfast. So after going to Burrito Boyz, my friends and I were hungry yet again. We had a hotel room at the Sheraton across from Nathan Phillips Square, so we went over to the lone fry truck that was still open (on Queen Street @ Nathan Phillips Square). At 4am on a saturday night, it was not surprising that there was a lineup of about 4-5 people when we got there. These fry trucks make some really cheap food and are known for their poutines and fries. I went for the combo of Hot Dog's and Fries ($4.50) with free gravy. The hot dog was your typical street meat and was decent, but unfortunately gravy ruined the meal for me. The fries were typical "oily fry truck fries", but the gravy was clearly sour and by the time we got back to the hotel and ate in the lobby, we were too lazy to go back and request an exchange. These fry trucks are usually alright, but you gotta be careful with cleanliness. I know many people could care less when its 4 in the morning and they just want some cheap food fast, but you gotta be careful with getting sick. That being said...I can't lie... my affinity for good deals will definitely bring me back to get a poutine here, but I will definitely look out for sour gravy (just nastyyy)!
Quick Note: This is unrelated to food, but a good tip for getting a hotel cheap is to use priceline.com, where you can bid for hotel rooms. My friends used the site and ended up getting the room at the Sheraton, a 4 star hotel, for about $45/night (+ fees, coming to around $60). This is great for tourists and even a good option if you do not live downtown and plan to go clubbing, as you can crash at a hotel within walking distance from clubs, not worry about driving and not worrying about cleaning up after intense pre drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment