Friday, March 19, 2010

Anoush Middle Eastern Cuisine.

shawarrrrmmma... If you didn't know already, I'm currently studying Physiotherapy at the University of Toronto and our building is at University and Dundas. A new shawarma place called Anoush Middle Eastern Cuisine (I think it is a chain) opened up right behind our building and of course I had to go check it out. It is also very close by to OCAD. On their opening day, they had 2 dollar shawarmas which I took full advantage of. Since then, I've gone a couple times because it is so close to where I'm at school everyday. Anoush is a pretty small place with only a couple of chairs to sit at (most of their customers seem to do take out).
Most people who come here seem to get either a shawarma wrap or a shawarma dinner plate. The one pictured middle left is a chicken shawarma wrap ($4.99 + tax, or $5.49 + tax for Beef). As you can see in both pictures of the chicken shawarma, it is pretty damn big and they are not stingy at all with the toppings which include shaved chicken pieces, lettuce, tomatoes, hummus, pickled radishes, pickles, something that looks like parsley. They also cover it with the typical white sauce and hot sauce that you get at these shawarma joints. Taste wise, I'd say it is pretty average for a shawarma place as my friend Yasir from school walks all the way to Taste of the Mediterranean where he claims the shawarma's taste much better (although they are much smaller... here is a picture). The best part about Anoush is that you get a free pop or Lentil soup with every wrap or plate purchase. I've tried their soup once, but it is kind of bland and literally just pureed lentils (maybe I just don't like the taste). This is a limited time offer, although I'm not sure when it will end.
When I am really hungry at lunch, I will get the Chicken Shawarma plate ($6.49 + tax), pictured middle right. It is really big and will definitely fill you up + more for a lunch. It is basically the exact same as the chicken shawarma wrap but set out on a plate with salad, rice and toppings of your choice. They also give you a couple chunks of roasted potato. Again, the price also includes the free pop or lentil soup. Anoush is a good place to go if your hungry and want large portions of shawarma wraps or plates (the free drink doesn't hurt either). In case your wondering, they only take cash or debit.

Anoush Middle Eastern Cuisine
250 Dundas St. W. Unit 15
Toronto, ON
416-204-1680

No comments:

Post a Comment